Social security pensions: introduction
Part 9 Chapter 5 ITEPA 2003
UK social security pensions are now chargeable to tax as pension income under Part 9 Chapter 5 ITEPA 2003 (see EIM74001). Section 577 ITEPA 2003 says which payments are taxed as pension income. These are:
- the state pension (see EIM74601)
- graduated retirement benefit (see EIM74602)
- industrial death benefit (see EIM74604)
- widowed mother’s allowance (see EIM74605)
- widowed parent’s allowance (see EIM74606)
- widow’s pension (see EIM74607).
The person liable for any tax charged under Part 9 is the person receiving or entitled to the pension, benefit or allowance (Section 579 ITEPA 2003).