Tax treatment of Association footballers: types of payment
Contract players are engaged under a contract of employment. The following types of payment made to footballers are earnings from that employment, and are normally chargeable to tax as employment income (see generally EIM00510 onwards).
- Wages and talent money.
- Payment of a certain amount per match.
- Signing-on fees (but see also EIM64110).
- Share of transfer fee (see EIM64115).
- Some benefits (see EIM64120).
- Loyalty bonuses (see EIM64125).
- Payments for representative appearances (see EIM64130).
- Certain termination payments (see EIM64135).
Other kinds of payment may also be taxable. If you come across a payment that is not covered in the specific guidance at EIM64100 onwards, refer in the first instance to the general guidance on employment income at EIM00510 onwards.