This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Employment Income Manual

Living Accommodation: housing for key workers: rented housing: existing property

Rented Housing: existing property For information on the scheme for Key Housing and the Starter Homes Initiative, see EIM21735. Where an employer or anyone else pays a contribution towards the key worker’s rent, the contribution is treated as earnings.

If the employee rents the accommodation and the employer or someone else connected with work makes a contribution towards the rent then that contribution is treated as earnings within S62 ITEPA 2003 (see EIM11307).

If the employer rents the accommodation and the employee contributes towards the rent due, the benefit is earnings within S97 ITEPA 2003 (see EIM11309). If a third party such as a RSL rents accommodation and that accommodation is provided to the key worker by reason of the employment, then there are earnings under S97 See EIM11408 for guidance on “by reason of the employment”. EIM11431 explains how to calculate the value of the benefit and EIM11432 why GRV (gross rating value) is used.