Beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Diplomatic Privileges Manual

Goods and services for the use of entitled individuals: entitled individuals

Entitled individuals may import goods from countries outside the EU, acquire goods and services from suppliers in other EU Member States, or withdraw goods from warehouses, duty and/or VAT free when for the official use of the missions or for the personal use of the entitled individual and their accompanying dependents.

With the exception of goods that are for the official use of an International Organisation, both the mission and the individual are subject to all prohibitions and restrictions. The purchase of motor vehicles, cigarettes, cigars, hand rolling tobacco, spirits, beer, wine, and perfume is subject to quotas administered by the FCO.

There is no entitlement for the mission or the entitled individual to purchase goods or services free of duty and/or VAT within the UK, other than vehicles manufactured in the European Economic Area (EEA)/ European Free Trade Area (EFTA) (see DIPPRIV6200).

To check the status of an individual claiming Diplomatic Privilege the London Diplomatic List (LDL) should be consulted in the first instance. If you cannot trace an individual claiming diplomatic status in the LDL then you should direct your enquiries to the Protocol Directorate at the FCO on 0207 008 1011.

British nationals and permanent British residents are not normally entitled to any privileges.