Introduction: Law and Regulations
- The Finance Act 1995, section 5;
- The Alcoholic Liquor Duties Act 1979 (ALDA); and
- The Denatured Alcohol Regulations 2005 (DAR) These laws govern the production, distribution and use of denatured alcohol.
Other legislation that applies to denatured alcohol:
- The Customs and Excise Management Act 1979;
- The Excise Goods (Holding, Movement, Warehousing and REDS) Regulations 1992;
- The Revenue Traders (Accounts and Records) Regulations 1992; and
- The Finance Act 1994
- Council Directive 92/83/EEC
This is the main European Directive dealing with the harmonisation of the structures of excise duty on alcohol and alcoholic beverages. Article 27 of the Directive is concerned with denatured alcohol.