Enforcement: Recording fees and charges: Which reference number to use
Which reference number to use
IDMS has more than one Head of Duty (HoD)
Where a case includes two or more Heads of Duty
- use the IDMS master reference to create the charge on SAFE. This will ensure that the work item for the cost charge properly links on IDMS
Where cost/fees relate to an Indirect Tax (VAT/non VAT) debt that is linked to a Direct Tax debt
- record the cost item on SAFE using the associated Direct Taxes HoD reference
Stand alone charges
Where you have stand-alone Indirect Tax debts
- locate a Direct Taxes HoD - including National Insurance Number (NINO) - reference for that customer (using BROCS: TBS: COP PA YE Browser etc to trace other references)
- use the Direct Taxes reference to create the cost charge on SAFE except where using a NINO, set the Dunning lock - Reason Code 8 - (using ‘Manage Charge’ function) on the charge just raised to stop a new LAN interface being sent to IDMS for the HoD reference
- create the work item on IDMS using the Indirect Taxes reference
note the IDMS Notes & Assets screen to
- say that the cost item was created on SAFE using the Direct Taxes reference
- record both the SAFE charge reference and the HoD reference.
Note: In these cases SAFE will not update the IDMS work item. You must check SAFE before taking any action.
NTC two person household
- Raise the charge using the lead NINO from IDMS as the prime reference.
- Use the HoD reference used by IDMS.
Cost charges relating to ‘duty’ types TPSS, MARD, SDLT & DRIER
Where you have a debt for one of the following ‘duty’ types and need to create a cost charge on SAFE find a reference number for the customer which is acceptable to IDMS from the table below.
|HoD||Possible substitute references|
|TPSS||CT, BROCS, SA|
|SDLT||SA, NINO, BROCS, CT, IRIS|
|DRIER||SA, NINO, BROCS, CT, IRIS|
- Create the cost charge on SAFE using the HoD reference found.
note the IDMS main work item Notes and Assets screen to
- say that the cost item was created on SAFE using the HoD reference
- record the SAFE charge reference and the original ‘duty’ reference.
Note: When using a NINO for anything other than a NTC related cost charge, always enter ‘ONE PERSON HOUSEHOLD’ in the 1 or 2 Person Household field.
Also see additional guidance at DMBM690050.
If after a full search you still cannot find a HoD reference, contact the SAFE Unit.