Summary warrant: Action following summary warrant returned by court: Sending the summary warrant to the sheriff officer
Action before sending the warrant to court
Before sending the summary warrant to the sheriff officer for execution it must be checked under supervision of a debt manager or above who should
- arrange for a recovery proceedings (RP) check to be made for each item (DMBM615040)
- ensure that appropriate enforcement signals are set on the computer records (direct tax debt)
- set the repayment inhibit signal (indirect tax debt)
- ensure that any deletions or corrections found necessary as a result of the check are properly made and initialled by a debt manager or above
- retain the copy of the warrant.
Sending the warrant to the sheriff officer
Send the warrant to the sheriff officer with the SW200 letter which instructs them to
Note: Once a case has been passed to the sheriff officer for execution of the warrant deal with any payment made or correspondence received about that case immediately.
If you have to ask the sheriff officer to either withdraw from or withhold proceedings
- telephone him immediately and
- follow this up with a written instruction if required.
Summary Warrant withdrawn
If exceptionally the debt manager (or above) deletes an item even although it is outstanding he should enter a note of his reasons for doing so on the case papers.