Summary proceedings: Debt manager's (complainant's) responsibilities for summary proceedings
England and Wales
Proceedings are taken by the complainant, generally a debt manager.
As the complainant you should
- commence actions in your own name
- conduct court hearings and be aware of your rights in court
- know in detail the facts of each case
- ensure that time and monetary limits are observed.
Regular liaison with your court is essential. If you maintain good relations it shouldbe easier to resolve any issues which may arise. In your contact with the court you should
- ensure you know the procedures of your court and
- make every effort to co-operate with the clerk and the court office staff.
If after reasonable efforts you still cannot resolve a particular difficulty with thecourt refer the matter to your higher debt manager.
In Northern Ireland, although the complainant is a debt manager, proceedings are takennot in their own name but in the name of the office (Debt Management Office Belfast). Thecomplainant has the same general responsibilities as above.