Debt and return pursuit: Child Benefit overpayments: recovery from continuing entitlement: commencing direct recovery action
Action on BF code 1 expiry
- Calculate the recovery start date; for:
- weekly paid cases, ignore the week you are working in, ignore the next three weeks and start recovery from the following week
- four-weekly paid cases, ignore the current payment cycle and start recovery from the first week of the following payment cycle.
- Issue SEES letter CBOP170A to confirm details of the recovery plan.
- Set OPREC BF to delayed code 2 BF Code 5.
- Set the BF date for a Mon or Tues (mirroring the Child Benefit payday); for:
- weekly cases set the BF for the week prior to the recovery start date
- four-weekly cases set the BF for the first week of the payment cycle in which recovery will commence.
- Update the OPREC notepad with “CBOP170A issued withhold from (Date)(Initials)”.
Action on BF code 5 expiry or after customer contact
Customer contact only
- Negotiate recovery following the guidance at DMBM557270.
- Issue SEES letter CBOP170A unless the customer has confirmed they do not require one.
OPREC action to show recovery
- Highlight ‘recovery’ and select ‘edit’.
- Select ‘immediate’.
- Select ‘benefit deductions’.
- Click on ‘benefit deductions’ tab at the top of the page.
- Select ‘add’.
- Enter 28 in deductions from.
- Enter 1 in benefit payday.
- Enter the weekly amount of recovery.
- Enter recovery start date (always use Monday date).
- Select ‘OK’.
- A prompt box may appear advising that you are starting a recovery over £15, please ignore and select ‘OK’.
- Make a note of the recovery end date.
OPREC action to set BF
- Click on the ‘recovery’ tab at the top of the page.
- If recovery will take over one year, leave BF code as 12 and set BF period for 52 weeks.
- If recovery will be complete within one year, change to BF code 9 and set the ‘BF date’ to Mon or Tues mirroring the Child Benefit payday; for:
- weekly cases, set the BF date for the week prior to the recovery end date
- four-weekly cases, set the BF date for the week of the final deduction.
- Select ‘OK’.
- If any fulltime exclusion dates occur within the recovery period, add ££ in front of the first name on OPREC.
Open the ‘corres’ indicator on CBOL by using dialogue 3 and transaction number 2.
CBUS action to start recovery on the Child Benefit Computer System (CBCS)
- Select ‘C’ screen – ‘instrument of payment code’; for:
- weekly cases, enter 56
- four-weekly cases, enter 44.
- Enter weekly amount of recovery (consider uprating).
- Enter start date.
- Enter ‘C’ in pay code.
- Click on ‘Lost & Ret/Rec’ tab at the top of the screen.
- Select ‘yes’ from the ‘long term recovery’ dropdown menu.
- Select ‘E’ screen (consider uprating).
- Click on ‘questions’ tab at the top of the page.
- Select ‘yes’ from the ‘is the case to be cleared’ dropdown menu.
- For ‘misc BF date’ enter a date one month after the end of recovery.
- Select ‘update’.