This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Customs Special Procedures Manual

Commercial policy measures: cultural goods

An export licence is required for certain cultural goods, antiques and works of art over 50 years old, see This includes goods held under IP, the movement of goods to other Member States and the Channel Islands but not the Isle of Man. The Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) are responsible for export licensing policy.

Applications for cultural goods export licences are processed by:

Export Licensing Unit
Arts Council England
21 Bloomsbury Street

Phone: 020 7268 9572 / 9606 / 9614 / 9622 / 9623 / 9635 / 9642



Council Regulation 3911/92, SI 2003 No. 2759