Beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what this means

HMRC internal manual

COTAX Manual

From
HM Revenue & Customs
Updated
, see all updates

Payments: quarterly instalment payments: transitional period

To help transition to the quarterly instalment payment system, large companies initially had to pay only part of their tax by instalments.

Over the transitional period, where the AP ended:

  • between 1 July 1999 and 30 June 2000, 60 per cent of the company’s total liability was payable by instalments, leaving 40 per cent payable on the normal due date nine months and one day after the end of the AP
  • between 1 July 2000 and 30 June 2001 inclusive, 72 per cent of the liability was payable by instalments, leaving 28 per cent to be paid on the normal due date
  • between 1 July 2001 and 30 June 2002 inclusive, 88 per cent of the liability was payable by instalments, leaving 12 per cent to be paid on the normal due date.

Where the AP ends on or after 1 July 2002, 100 per cent of the liability is payable by instalments.