This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Construction Industry Scheme Reform Manual

Procedures in NIC&EO PAYE Employer Office, Longbenton: finding a contractor return when the reference number incorrect

There may be occasions when the contractor calls and does not have the correct reference number for you to find the return. To find the return from the ‘Identify Required Return’ window

  • leave the ‘Accounts office reference on the return’ and ‘Return received for period ending’ blank
  • select the ‘Find’ button.

The ‘Locate Unmatched Returns’ window will then be displayed

  • complete the mandatory details
  • select ‘OK’.

If the details match a return, the ‘Unmatched Return Details’ window will be displayed with a list of the possible scheme matches. You should then

  • match the return to the appropriate scheme.

If the details do not match a return, the ‘Returns not found for the provided scheme and period’ window will be displayed. You should

  • select ‘Find’ to do a further search with different details, or
  • select ’OK’ to go to the CIS Main menu, or
  • select the ‘Cancel’ button.