Late Return Automatic Penalties: Adding and printing Appeal Notes
‘Add Notes;’ this is a freehand area found within many of the appeal functions which enables you to add a note of the action being taken and any other relevant information, to the record of the appeal being worked.
When taking any action on a Late return penalty appeal, you are required to make an entry of the action you have taken. The notes shown in the window will be displayed in ascending order with the latest entry being displayed at the top of the window.
The system will add an automatic note when the appeal is logged, and subsequently when the progress is updated. Each note made will display the appeal’s ‘Status.’ The status recorded will depend on the point that the Late Return Appeal has reached in its cycle and will be one of the following;
- Withdrawal Invited
- Being Reviewed
- Determined by Agreement
- Upheld by HMRC
- Listed for Personal Hearing
- Late Appeal accepted at Personal Hearing
- Late Appeal rejected at Personal Hearing
- Upheld at Personal Hearing
- Rejected at Personal Hearing
- Upheld in favour of HMRC
- Upheld in favour of appellant
For a description of the above appeal status types see CISR65130.
You should always
- Start a note with the entry of your PID. The system will automatically add the date and time (but this will not be visible until the notes made have been saved).
- On conclusion of the appeal if there has been a Tribunal Hearing full details of all the attendees present should be included in the notes.
- When you have added a note to the record select ‘Back’ to return to the previous window. Selecting ‘Cancel’ will return you to the menu and any changes made will be lost.
If you use the notes facility to log multiple appeals at once the same appeal note will be added to each of the appeals.
Removing the notes
You will note that there is also an [Undo] button in this window. Selecting this automatically removes any entries on this screen entered during the same visit but will not remove any existing notes made during an earlier visit. Should you wish to remove an entry
- You must highlight the text to be deleted, and
- Select the Delete key on your keyboard.
Printing the notes
When the appeal is finally determined either by agreement or by the Tribunal, you will be required to take a screen print of all of the notes in the ‘Add notes’ window and file these with the appeal papers. There is a particular method you must use to print the notes in the ‘Add notes’ window. You should not use the ‘print’ button that is displayed at the top right had corner of all windows that you open in CISR. Instead, to take a screen print of the ‘Add notes’ window you must:
- Firstly highlight the whole text in the window
- Select Ctrl + C to copy the text
- Open up a new blank document in Word
- Select Ctrl + P to paste the text into Word
- You should now print this Word document
- Finally, select the [Back] button which will take you back to the ‘Appeal Details’ window.