Monthly returns: overview: CIS300 - familiarisation - page 1
It is important that you know what the return form looks like so that you are best placed to help customers when they ask you for guidance. It’s probably a good idea to get hold of a blank copy to keep for reference purposes.
CIS300 - page 1
This version of the return is used when the form is issued from the CIS system. This can be either automatically or by request by phone or correspondence. This return will always be pre-populated with the subcontractor details that the contractor has previously returned or newly verified within the last three months.
The form includes basic completion guidance but further information is available in the separate guidance notes (CIS300 notes) which are included in the annual contractor’s pack. Further copies are also available from the CIS Orderline (0300 200 3210). A note on page 1 of the CIS300 reminds contractors of this.
The page 1 notes read as follows:
This return is for payments to subcontractors in the construction industry for the month shown above.
You are required by law to fill in and sign a return and send it back in time to reach us by the 19th of the month shown above.
You will be charged a penalty if we do not receive your return by the 19th of the above month.
If the address we have shown is not correct, phone the CIS helpline immediately on 0300 200 3210
How to fill in this return
- Write inside the boxes. Use black ink and capital letters.
- If you make a mistake, please cross it out and write the correct information underneath
Leave blank any boxes that do not apply to you
- please do not strike through anything irrelevant.
- Do not fold the return. Send it back to us unfolded in the envelope provided.
Photocopies are not acceptable.
You can also fill in your monthly return online. Todo this, please log on at
We are happy to help if you have any questions about your return. You can
- Use the guidance notes included in your Contractors Pack. Further copies are available from the CIS Orderline on 0300 200 3210
- Log on at
Phone the CIS helpline on 0300 200 3210
- If you need further information about filling in this return
- If you realise you have made a mistake after you have sent in your return
- If you need a replacement return
Page 1 then asks (at questions 1 and 2) for the contractor’s contact details including
- Name, and
- Telephone number
We will pre-populate this information if we know it.
Question 3 refers to NIL returns and provides this information:
If you have not made any payments to subcontractors in the construction industry for the month shown above you must make a NIL declaration. Do this online at , by phoning the CIS Helpline on 0300 200 3210, or go to ‘DECLARATION AND CERTIFICATE’ at the top of page 4 and start to fill in the return from there.
(For information on page 2, please go to CISR61140)