Authenticate customer: authentication: using ‘Internal enquiry’ facility to bypass authentication
Internal contact within HMRC
No authentication is needed beyond the necessary safeguards to ensure you are speaking to a valid HMRC contact. If you are unsure about these safeguards you should seek guidance from your line manager.
No authentication is needed. This is most likely to occur when a compliance officer is required to check the customers CIS record as part of their duties.
In both of the above situations it would be appropriate to use the ‘Internal enquiry’ facility which is found in the drop down menu of ‘Contact Type’ and found on the Identify Customer window.
- Open the CIS system to obtain the ‘Identify Customer’ window.
- Enter the customer reference, UTR or NINO, AO reference or Employer reference in the appropriate field.
- Select ‘Internal Enquiry’ from the drop down contact type menu.
- You will note that the channel type contains the entry ‘N/A’
- Select the OK button. You will be taken straight to the CIS Main Menu.