This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Compliance Operational Guidance

Supporting Guidance: employer compliance: guidance by subject: letter of offer: contacting contract settlement unit (CSU)

It is essential that we do not enter into contract settlements if there is any doubt about the customer’s ability to pay, see EM6214 to EM6239 and COG914550.

EM6418 tells you to contact the DMB Contract Settlements Unit if the customer tells you they are unable to pay after we have accepted an offer.

The Contract Settlement Unit (CSU) has now set up a new contact point to provide help and support at any stage during discussions either leading to, or following, the acceptance of a contract settlement, where

  • you need advice about how to check or have doubts over a customers ability to pay, or
  • you suspect a customer may default on payments, or
  • a customer has told you they are unable to pay, or
  • you need to check if a payment under a contract settlement or a POA has been made.

Contacting CSU in appropriate cases will

  • reduce the risk that your hard work settling a case is wasted because a contract debt cannot be collected
  • help in the recovery of existing debt
  • make sure that the potential for default has been fully considered when you submit an offer to your authorising officer.

The advice CSU is able to offer is restricted to debt management issues. They cannot offer advice about contract settlements. If you have any doubts about entering into a contract settlement or need advice contact - TALA - Liverpool.

In all cases, you must follow the guidance at COG914570 about the approval of expected offers.

CSU can be contacted on 01604 731680. You can also give this out to the public if they want to discuss contract debt.

If you are contacting CSU, you will need the Accounts Office (AO) reference or UTR and SAFE Charge Reference.