Supporting Guidance: employer compliance: guidance by subject: open year inaccuracies: new schemes (previously pseudo schemes)
Where you are undertaking a compliance check
- for a new scheme which has been set up by RIS
then every year for which returns are due (up to and including 2012-13) but still outstanding
- is an open year.
From 6 April 2013, every tax period where a Full Payment Submission (FPS) is due but still outstanding
- is an open tax period.
Where an inaccuracy is discovered you should
- instruct the employer to register for RTI (if this has not already been done)
explain to the employer how to prepare the necessary current year records; completed FPS which must include details of
- all employees
- year to date details of all payments and deductions, see COG904220
- recover the PAYE, NIC and interest for earlier years where P35s/P14s have not been submitted, via Class 6 settlement
- instruct the employer to submit an Earlier Year Update (EYU) for RTI years (see COG904240) and
- consider penalties in accordance with COG914045 and COG914050 (for post April 2009 see CH80000).
If the scheme was opened and closed immediately to facilitate RIS you should
- arrange for the scheme to be reopened.