Supporting Guidance: employer compliance: guidance by subject: commencing the compliance check: cancellation of a case
There will be occasions where it may not be appropriate to proceed with the compliance check. This may only become apparent after the issue of the opening letter.
- the opening letter is returned by ‘Return Letter Service’ and a new address cannot be located
- the company is dormant
- the company has ceased trading
- the employer/contractor is now insolvent (COG905050).
See also COG906150 where an Insolvency Practitioner is appointed after the commencement of the compliance check.
Where a personal interest by the caseworker becomes apparent, it is not necessary to cancel the compliance check. The manager should
- reallocate the case to another caseworker or
- reallocate the case to themselves and
- update Caseflow accordingly.
The decision to cancel a case is only to be taken by the Senior Manager.