Penalties for VAT and Excise Wrongdoing: Calculating the penalty: Before calculating the penalty
To work out the penalty to be charged you first need to establish
- the underlying behaviour that gave rise to the wrongdoing, see CH93050
- the penalty period, see CH91300
- the Potential Lost Revenue (PLR), see CH94250
- whether the disclosure of the wrongdoing was unprompted or prompted, see CH94650, and
- the quality of disclosure, see CH94850.
For detailed guidance on how to calculate the penalty, see CH95550.