Managing serious defaulters (MSD) for specific customer groups: SI (Specialist Investigations): SI insolvencies
Who will be considered for inclusion in the Managing Serious Defaulters (MSD) programme?
From 1 April 2013, MSD will monitor insolvencies, identified by SI as a high ongoing risk to HMRC, to assure their future compliance.
MSD insolvency cases have one or more of the following features:
- HM Revenue and Customs is the major creditor
- the insolvency is considered to be contrived or the insolvency process has been manipulated by the company to the detriment of HMRC
- minimal distrainable assets at liquidation
- the actions of the directors lead to the insolvency
- HMRC liability is disguised by non-submission of returns, incorrect returns and/or payment of low assessments
- a link between the insolvent company and its successor by way of directors, a manager or other responsible persons
- a new company continues trading from the same premises and supplies the same customers as the previous company.
MSD entry criteria
You should only refer insolvency cases to MSD where civil recovery action is taken by the Insolvency Practitioner against the director or directors.
What you need to do
MSD referrals for insolvency cases are made by SI Insolvency teams only.
A link to the MSD intranet page will be available from this page in due course.