How to do a compliance check: information powers: third party notice: groups: notice to parent to check parent and one known subsidiary
Where a notice is given to a parent to check the tax position of the parent and one known subsidiary the special rules set out at CH225510 do not apply. The usual rules about giving third party notices apply see CH23620. In summary
- the notice will be a combined taxpayer (for the parent) and third party notice
- the requirement set out in CH23520, relating to Self Assessment returns, applies to the parent but not to the subsidiary
- if you decide to obtain the approval of the taxpayer rather than the tribunal, you must get the approval of the subsidiary
- a summary of reasons must be sent to the subsidiary
- the notice must name the subsidiary
- a copy of the notice must be sent to the subsidiary.