This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Compliance Handbook

Record Keeping: What records must be kept: VAT: Specific records to be kept

Every taxable person must keep

  • their business and accounting records
  • a VAT account, see CH12300
  • a Refunds for Bad Debts Account
  • copies of all VAT invoices issued or received (V1-24A explains what a VAT invoice must contain)
  • all certificates relating to

    • acquisitions by them of goods from other EU member states, and
    • supplies by them of goods or services

where those acquisitions or supplies are either zero-rated or treated as taking place outside the UK

  • documentation received relating to acquisitions of goods from other EU member states
  • copy documentation issued or received relating to the transfer, dispatch or transportation of goods to other EU member states
  • documentation relating to importations and exportations
  • all credit notes, debit notes, or other documents that are received or issued which show an increase or decrease in consideration
  • any self-billing agreement to which they are a party and the name, address and VAT registration number of each supplier with whom they have entered into any self-billing agreement.

SI1995/2518/Regs 31, 31A & 31B

SI1995/2518/Reg 168