This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Company Taxation Manual

Corporation Tax: trading losses - relief against total profits: claims

CTA10/S37 (7)

This guidance applies to CTSA accounting periods ending on or after 1 July 1999.

Guidance about claims under CTSA is at CTM90600+.

Loss relief claims can be made within two years of the accounting period in which the loss is incurred. There is an exception where the claim falls within CTA10/S43 (1), but this is normally of concern only in the oil and gas activity field.

A loss relief claim made in a company tax return may be amended at any time up to 12 months from the statutory filing date or, if the claim is within the rules in TMA70/SCH1A within 12 months of making the claim.

For guidance on late claims see CTM04590.