Examinations: Information: How do I work an examination?
In general terms pre and post-award examinations are worked in a similar way.
- You will send the claimant a letter opening the examination and asking them to provide information or evidence to help you consider their claim.
- You will then consider any response and make a decision about their claim or award.
You will send them a letter explaining your conclusion and issue any notice setting out your decision. The claimant has a right to appeal against your decision.Detailed guidance on each step can be found at:-
- pre-award examinations is at CCM4300,
- examinations following a change of circumstances is at CCM4350
post-award examinations is at CCM4400.However before you start your action you need to think about:-
- Whether this should be a discrepancy examination, see CCM17020
- Confidentiality in joint claims, see CCM5010
- Is a penalty appropriate, see CCM4310, CCM4360 and CCM4410.