Compliance Strategy: Enabling
The department is tasked with not only making sure customers make correct claims but also taking all possible steps to encourage take up of tax credits by those who are eligible to claim. For those who go on to make a claim we want to make it as simple as possible for them to make a correct claim. So enabling covers:
- providing clear guidance in forms and leaflets written in plain English
- Enquiry Centres providing face to face contact
- customer service initiatives such as outreach
- educational services such as those carried out by the Local Compliance Targeted Education, Enabling and Leverage Team (TEEL)
- initiatives under the Tax Credits Transformation Programme (TCTP), see CCM2170
Help is also provided by DWP, through its network of Job Centre Plus offices.
The CCM does not provide detailed guidance on Customer Service, its main focus is on the compliance checks strand of the compliance strategy. However, you should always take the opportunity to make customers aware of their obligation to make correct claims and give them assistance to do so.