This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Claimant Compliance Manual

Discrepancy Enquiries: Action: Application for enquiry to be completed

Claimants are entitled to apply to the independent Appeals Tribunal to ask them to tell HMRC to complete their enquiry and tell the claimant their decision. In joint claims either claimant can ask for this.

Claimants can do this at any time during the enquiry. It usually happens where the enquiry has been going on a long time or where the opening letter does not say why we have opened the enquiry and the claimant will not co-operate until they know what is wrong. It is unlikely that you will come across this in a discrepancy case. If you do receive one – see CCM17090.