Europe: introduction - grants, quotas etc.
This guidance tells you about various topics which have their origin outside the United Kingdom. Many of these arise from the United Kingdom’s membership of the European Union (formerly the European (Economic) Community). In these instructions, the following abbreviations are used
- EC: for the European Union (or its predecessors)
- UK: for the United Kingdom
- Defra - Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affaires (or the Scottish or Northern Irish equivalents).
The topics covered in this guidance are
- fishing vessel decommissioning grants, see CG77720
- milk quota, see CG77820+
- quotas and roll-over relief, see CG77980+
- grubbing up, see CG78110
- fishing quotas, see CG78120.
The guidance is intended to give an introduction to certain quotas and other schemes and address certain key issues. It is not intended to be exhaustive. The guidance on quotas, see CG77800+, covers general principles that apply. Further background information on quotas and grants can be found in the Business Income Manual.
If you are dealing with a case which involves a topic not covered by these instructions, or elsewhere in the manual Capital Gains Technical Group will be happy to look at it if it cannot be resolved otherwise.
Guidance on cases involving compensation for confiscated property located outside the UK is at CG13055+