Beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Capital Gains Manual

Valuation: unagreed valuations


If Shares and Assets Valuation is unable to reach an agreement with the taxpayer or their agent, they will send you a report telling you this and giving you their proposed valuation(s) at the date(s) in question.

When you receive this report, you should issue a notice of closure based on the valuation(s) supplied.  If this is appealed, you should deal with this in the normal way and then refer the papers to Capital Gains Technical Group.

Where a valuation of an asset of the types listed in CG77001 is not agreed by the taxpayer or their agent, it may be necessary to have the matter heard by the First-tier Tribunal.

Arrangements will be made to have the SAV valuer give expert evidence in support of their valuation(s).

You need not take any action yourself to bring about the listing of the appeal unless requested to do so by the Capital Gains Technical Group.