National heritage: section 258 TCGA: qualifying assets
Section 258 defines the categories of qualifying assets by reference to the list in section 31 Inheritance Tax Act 1984. The main categories of qualifying assets are:
- Buildings of outstanding historic or architectural interest.
- Land which is needed for the protection of the character and amenities of buildings of outstanding historic or architectural interest.
- Objects historically associated with such a building.
- Land of outstanding scenic, historic or scientific interest.
- Objects - pictures, prints, books, manuscripts works of art or scientific objects and anything not falling within these categories that do not yield income - pre-eminent for their national, historic or artistic interest.
Any question concerning the status of an asset must be referred to Specialist PT - IHT - Heritage Team. See CG73301.