Beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Capital Gains Manual

Gifts: hold-over relief: husband and wife or civil partners: transfer assets: separation, divorce or dissolution of civil partnership

The no gain/no loss rules in TCGA92/S58 do not apply to disposals taking place after the end of the year of assessment in which a married couple separated or in which civil partners separated, see CG22400+.

You may, therefore, have to deal with a claim to hold-over gains in cases involving a transfer of assets between separated or divorced spouses or between separated civil partners or between civil partners whose civil partnership has been dissolved.