Beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Capital Gains Manual

Gifts: hold-over relief: general points

Help with valuations

You need to obtain a valuation of the asset in cases involving hold-over relief if the donor and donee do not wish to claim the benefit of SP8/92, see CG67130+.

In these circumstances, you will always need to obtain the market value of the asset (TCGA92/S272) at the date of the gift, see CG66450, and may also need to obtain a value at 31 March 1982, if the asset was owned by the donor at that date.

Where a valuation is required in a hold-over case you can obtain expert advice from a number of sources. You will find detailed instructions on how to get this at

  • CG59540+ Unquoted shares
  • CG74000+ Land, including fixed plant and machinery
  • CG77001+ Other plant and machinery
  • CG68000+ Goodwill
  • CG77000+ Other assets

CG67130+ gives you detailed instructions on how to obtain valuations in hold-over cases where you need these.

Top of page

Liaison between offices

Claims to hold-over relief should be dealt with in the donor’s responsible office.

You also need to liaise with the donee’s responsible office in cases:

  • where a claim under SP8/92 has been made.

Before you finally admit a claim to hold-over relief you should also issue form CG130 to the donee’s responsible office together with a copy of the claim.