Private residence relief: exchanges of interests: disposals on or after 6 April 2010: definition of terms
Some of the terms used in the legislation are defined for the purposes of the section.
- Co-owner means any person who holds an interest in a dwelling-house jointly with the landowner
- Holding land jointly means holding as joint tenants or tenants in common in England, Wales and Northern Ireland as well as coparceners in Northern Ireland. In Scotland, holding land as joint owners or owners in common.
A related disposal is a disposal of an interest in a dwelling-house
- by the landowner to a co-owner, or
- by a co-owner to the landowner or another co-owner
- Spouses or civil partners who are living together are treated as a single landowner or a single co-owner for the purposes of the relief.