This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Capital Gains Manual

Roll-over relief: form of claim: provisional relief: form of declaration


FA96/S141 introduced TCGA92/S153A to allow any person who has made a disposal of a qualifying asset to obtain provisional roll-over relief if they declare in their Return an intention to acquire new assets.

The declaration must identify the old assets that have been disposed of and must specify the amount of the consideration that is to be applied in the acquisition of new assets. The taxpayer can specify all or part of the consideration. The taxpayer can then complete their self assessment as if there had been an actual acquisition of new assets for the amount specified. Provisional roll-over relief is then given in the self assessment until the time set out in CG60700.

A form on which the declaration can be made has been provided in the Help Sheet 290 on roll-over relief that will be available for issue to customers. The declaration may also be made in any other form the taxpayer chooses provided that it is attached to the Return and contains sufficient information.

The specified amount declared in a Return can only be increased by amending the Return. When the period available for amendment has expired the specified amount can only be withdrawn or reduced.

Detailed instructions on how to handle declarations of intentions to reinvest are at CG60700+.