This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Capital Gains Manual

Valuation: quoted shares and units in a Unit Trust: checking valuations

You should normally accept the taxpayer’s value of a quoted share or security but see

CG13140 for negligible value claims

CG59514 if you are dealing with a non arm’s length disposal of a large block of shares.

If you have a good reason for checking the taxpayer’s figures you can use Interactive Data if you need a value at 31 March 1982, see CG59520. If you need a value at a different date or the shares are not shown in Interactive Data send a CG29 to SAV. A list of abbreviations used by SAV can be found at CG/APP1.

See CG57690+ for guidance on the Valuation of Units in a Unit Trust. The valuation of units or interests in organisations similar to unit trusts can be dealt with on the same basis.

  • If `bid’ and `offer’ prices are published on a regular basis take the bid price. You should usually accept the taxpayer’s figures, see CG57691.
  • If `bid’ and `offer’ prices are not published on a regular basis treat the units or interests as unquoted shares. You will need to get a valuation from SAV, see CG57693.

This guidance applies whether the organisation is situated in the UK or overseas.