Substantial shareholdings exemption: introduction - brief summary of basic structure and meaning of general terms used
TCGA92/SCH7AC/PARA1, PART 4 & TCGA92/SCH7AC/PARA31
The substantial shareholdings exemption regime provides that a gain on a disposal by a company of shares (or an interest in shares, or certain assets related to shares) will not normally be a chargeable gain provided three conditions are met:
- The ‘investing company requirement’ (the company making the disposal) must meet certain ‘trading’ conditions.
- The ‘investee company requirement’ (the company whose shares are being disposed of - note that although ‘investee company’ is used to identify that company in this guidance the name actually given to that company in the legislation is ‘the company invested in’) must meet similar ‘trading’ conditions.
- The ‘investing company’ must have held shares in the ‘investee company’ in such number, and for such time, that the shareholding satisfies ‘the substantial shareholding requirement’.
However, a gain on a disposal is not exempted by this legislation
- if the disposal is a no gain/no loss disposal, or
- if the gain would not have been a chargeable gain because of some other provision, or
- if the gain arises to an insurance company on a certain type of deemed disposal, or
- should an anti-avoidance rule apply.
No claim is required - if the conditions for the relief are met a gain is exempt. The general rule in TCGA1992/S16(2) that where a gain is not a chargeable gain a loss is not an allowable loss applies (see CG15800). So a loss on a disposal of shares by a company where the conditions for the relief are met is not an allowable loss.
Part 4 of TCGA 1992/Sch7AC/paras 26 to 31 explains what is meant by other general expressions used in the substantial shareholdings exemption legislation - see the following paragraphs for definitions.
|CG53006||Company, group, subgroup, holding company, 51% subsidiary|
|CG53008||Twelve month period|
|CG53009||Interest in shares|
|CG53010||Asset related to shares|
TCGA1992/Sch7AC/Para 31 contains an index that includes other definitions and explanations which appear in Schedule 7AC.