Value shifting: TCGA92 S30: tax-free benefit
A benefit arises whenever
- a person becomes entitled to any money or money’s worth
- the value of an asset increases
- a liability is reduced or cancelled.
A benefit is tax-free unless, at the time it arises, it is brought into account in computing the recipient`s income, profits or gains for tax purposes, TCGA92/S30 (3).
In considering whether Section 30 restricts a loss claimed under CTA10/S69 or ITA/S131 (relief against income for losses on unquoted shares in trading companies, see VCM70000+ and VCM77000+), the obtaining of loss relief should be regarded as a tax-free benefit.
The value shifting rules apply where the tax-free benefit arises to
- the person making the disposal
- a person connected with the person making the disposal, see CG14580+
- any other person, unless (for this category only) tax avoidance was not a main purpose of the scheme or arrangements,
TCGA92/S30 (1)(b) and TCGA92/S30 (4).
Finance Act 2011 introduced the amended TCGA92/S31 as Targeted Anti-Avoidance Rule for disposals of shares and securities by companies on or after 19 July 2011. TCGA92/S30 no longer applies to such disposals. See CG48500+.