This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Capital Allowances Manual

PMA: FYA: First-year tax credits: making or amending a claim for first-year tax credits

FA98/Sch 18 para 83ZA

A claim, or an amended claim, for first-year tax credits must be made in a company tax return or an amended return and the amount of the claim, or the amended claim, must be specified in the return. The time limits for claims for first-year tax credits are the same as those for capital allowances (CA11140).

A valid claim must also include the following information:

  • A list of the plant and machinery (P&M) that is first-year qualifying expenditure, that is, energy-saving or environmentally beneficial P&M that qualifies for a FYA.
  • The expenditure incurred on that P&M, and
  • The date on which the expenditure was incurred.


There are no specific boxes for this information on the company tax return but it may be provided as a schedule (as part of the corporation tax computation say). Sufficient detail must be provided in the list to enable HMRC to be satisfied that the P&M is qualifying, i.e. that it appears on one of the lists maintained by Defra (CA23135 and CA23140).

Where a relevant certificate of energy efficiency or environmental benefit is required before an FYA may be given, the certificate must also be sent to HMRC as part of the claim. Further guidance explaining when a relevant certificate is required may be found at .