This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

CAP imports

CAP import licences: CAP licences

The UK operates two types of licence:

  1. Electronic - These convey the same rights and carry the same obligations as paper licences but are held on CHIEF. As with paper licences, attributions to electronic licences coincide with the declaration into free circulation. The electronic attribution is made in Box 44 of the CHIEF declaration.
  2. Paper - These are only issued occasionally by the RPA. However licences issued by other Member States will always be paper.