The principal objectives of the Department’s CAP import arrangements are to:
- collect agricultural charges on behalf of the EU, whilst maintaining effective control and facilitating legitimate trade
- ensure that accurate and up-to-date CAP charges are available to officers together with appropriate guidance
- ensure that the correct CAP charges are levied
- ensure that valid licences are presented, where appropriate, and are properly processed
- ensure that amounts charged are promptly and properly brought to account, and
- ensure that control is effective, while minimising the burdens on trade, and is targeted at areas of greatest risk.