Calculating the penalty: penalty reductions for disclosure
The maximum penalty percentage can be reduced depending upon the quality of disclosure. A person makes a disclosure by:
- telling us about it (telling), see Telling
- giving us reasonable help (helping), Helping, and
- allowing us access to records for the purpose of checking what sales have been made without approval (giving access), see Giving.
The penalty percentage cannot be reduced below a minimum amount which is determined by:
- the type of failure, for example, deliberate and concealed, and
- whether the disclosure is unprompted or prompted, see AWRS110700.
The maximum and minimum penalty percentages for each type of failure are set out in AWRS110900.
See AWRS130000 if a person asks for a special reduction of the penalty.