Register with the Traffic Systems and Signing (TSS) Plans Registry to access the register of statutory approvals for traffic control equipment
If your business is involved in designing, building or maintaining the highways network - particularly motorways and trunk roads - you can access current documents in the online Traffic Systems and Signing (TSS) Plans Registry.
These documents include specifications for works, equipment and testing, as well as technical drawings and diagrams.
This guide explains how you can register as a TSS Plans Registry user and quickly find and download free documents. It also describes the categories of documents you can find in the registry and how you can access MCS215 - the online register of statutory approvals for traffic control equipment.
Types of document available on the Traffic Systems and Signing Plans Registry
You can download unpriced documents that have the following prefixes:
- MCE - specifications for equipment
- MCF - specifications for works, in subject areas which cover installation and commissioning, maintenance requirements for a particular installation, and supply and delivery
- MCG - specifications for testing
- MCH - instructions for use in handbooks, guides, instructions, request forms, procedures, reports and records
- MCS - circulars dealing with the administration of technical documents
- MCX - drawing sequences used for equipment and other items that are not site-specific, eg standard installation drawings, cabinets, circuit diagrams and printed circuit boards
- TR - specifications for equipment
- TRG - specifications for testing
- TRH - instructions for use in handbooks, guides, instructions, request forms, procedures, reports and records
Most documents are published in PDF format. Some documents are forms in Word or Excel format. You can fill in the required information electronically.
You can search for documents based on their title, number or keywords. If you know the document type and number, you can access it directly by using the browse function.
You will need to be registered before you can access the documents.
Some documents are currently being prepared and have been issued with a document number. These have the suffix ‘(a)’ added to the document number. Other documents have been circulated in draft form, and have the suffix ‘(d)’ added to the document number. You can’t access these types of documents from the TSS Plans Registry.
Only the current versions of the documents are available on the TSS Plans Registry. The issue and date is shown when you are given the option to download the document. If you need historic versions of any of these documents, you can request them by emailing the TSS Plans Registry at email@example.com
Traffic control equipment
Highways England maintains an online register (MCS215) of type approved and self-certified traffic signal display equipment. You will need to register separately to access this - you can’t use your TSS Plans Registry login details.
You can find out more about this service and how to register in MCS215 - the register of type approved and self-certified traffic control equipment.
Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works and other priced documents
The TSS Plans Registry does not contain priced Highways England documents such as:
- Design Manual for Roads and Bridges - these have the prefixes BA, BD, HA, HD, TA and TD
- Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works - the Specification for Highways Works, Highways Construction Details and National Motorway Communication System installation drawings
You can find out how to access Design Manual for Roads and Bridges documents, Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works documents and Highways England Interim Advice Notes in Standards for Highways online resources.
Register for the Traffic Systems and Signing Plans Registry
You will need to register before you can access and download online documents held on the TSS Plans Registry.
The website also includes a list of recently updated or added documents, which you can view as a registered user.
As part of the registration process, you’ll be asked to provide contact information. This is because many of the documents are contract-specific. Also, Highways England may need to let you know if any corrections or updates are made.
TSS Plans Registry Helpline
0117 372 8475