Annex 1. You and your bicycle
Information and rules about you and your bicycle.
You and your bicycle
Make sure that you feel confident of your ability to ride safely on the road. Be sure that
- you choose the right size and type of cycle for comfort and safety
- lights and reflectors are kept clean and in good working order
- tyres are in good condition and inflated to the pressure shown on the tyre
- gears are working correctly
- the chain is properly adjusted and oiled
- the saddle and handlebars are adjusted to the correct height.
It is recommended that you fit a bell to your cycle.
- ensure your brakes are efficient
- at night, use lit front and rear lights and have a red rear reflector.
Cycle training can help both children and adults, especially those adults returning to cycling to develop the skills needed to cycle safely on today’s roads. A new national cycle training standard has been developed which the Government is promoting and making funding available for delivery in schools.
All cyclists should consider the benefits of undertaking cycle training. For information, contact your local authority.