Your student loan can be cancelled if you become permanently unfit to work.
You might be able to have your student loan cancelled if you get one of the following disability-related benefits in the UK:
- Personal Independence Payments
- Disability Living Allowance
- Industrial Injuries Benefit
- Severe Disablement Allowance
Evidence you’ll need to send
You’ll need to write to the Student Loans Company (SLC) to ask for your loan to be cancelled. You’ll also need to include your Customer Reference Number and photocopies of both of the following letters from:
- a doctor, consultant or psychiatrist which says you’re ‘permanently unfit for work’, dated within the last 6 months
- the benefits agency which shows you get a disability-related benefit, which must be the most recent letter of assessment and include all pages
If you cannot make the request
Sometimes you may not be well enough to tell us that you’re permanently unfit to work yourself. SLC can accept information and evidence from a third party instead, but, we can only communicate directly with the third party if they have Power of Attorney (POA). If there’s no POA we’ll write to a third party ‘care of’ the customer’s address.
SLC cannot cancel any loans without evidence.
Student Loans Company
100 Bothwell Street