Share valuations: CSOP and SAYE share schemes

Agree the value of shares when you are operating Company Share Option Plans (CSOPs) or Save As You Earn (SAYE) schemes.


If you operate a CSOP or SAYE scheme there are a number of occasions when you might want to agree the value of your shares with HMRC (Shares and Assets Valuation).

Here you’ll find out how you can get your shares valued by HMRC Shares and Assets Valuation (SAV) and the service you can expect.

How to get your shares valued

To agree a market value for your shares, write to SAV including:

  • a proposed value for your shares
  • 3 years of accounts preceding the valuation date (or if the company is newly trading, any accounts available at the valuation date)
  • any other information that might be relevant (eg plans to sell or float the business)

SAV contact details

What to expect from SAV

When SAV has all the information it needs, it aims to reach an agreed valuation within 4 weeks. If it has to ask for further information, this can take longer.

If you want to appoint an accountant or professional valuation firm, SAV will deal directly with them. Make sure your professional adviser has all the facts, as you’ll be responsible for the accuracy of the information given to SAV.

If you or your professional advisors wish to arrange a meeting to discuss the valuation, SAV will try to arrange one at a mutually convenient time and place. This may mean the process takes longer than usual.

SAV will always be courteous, fair and professional. If you or your professional advisers raise a question or issue in writing, it aims to respond within 10 working days and, if it can’t, will let you know the reason for the delay and when you can expect a full response.

You can expect SAV to explain any actions it takes, for instance, why it:

  • would like to meet with you
  • needs to question any explanation you’ve given
  • proposes a valuation different to yours

Your company, its directors and its shareholders have the right to the same degree of confidentiality that all taxpayers receive. Except in the limited circumstances allowed by law – such as at tribunal hearings – SAV will only give information to people you have authorised.


If you think SAV has made a mistake or treated you unfairly, you can ask for the matter to be reviewed by the Assistant Director in charge of the part of SAV where the valuation was carried out.

To find out how to make a complaint, read the Complaints factsheet

If you’re still not happy with the outcome, the factsheet also explains how you can take your complaint further.

Published 7 November 2014