River Medway: conditions, closures and restrictions
River conditions, reach closures and restrictions affecting boaters on the River Medway.
Current condition on the River Medway:
Red: strong stream warning (effective from 1pm Thursday 23 June 2016).
What the conditions mean
- Red: strong stream. We advise users of all boats not to navigate because the strong flows make it difficult and dangerous.
- Green: all clear. No stream warnings are in force, all boats can navigate the river freely.
This web page will only be updated during business hours (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm). Outside these hours, customers should call Allington Lock on 01622 752864 for the latest stream information.
There are currently no unplanned closures on the River Medway. See planned lock closures and river draining for 2015.
|From 8 June 2015||Town Lock, Tonbridge||All mariners should note that there will be landscaping works to the lockside at Town Lock. There maybe times when access to the Medway Wharf Road side of the lock may be restricted. However, access to lock and temporary landing stages either side will be available at all times. Please follow the instruction signs or the directions of the on site contractor.|
|Start delayed||Medway Valley Line railway embankment in Tovil||There will be works to strengthen the embankment approximately 300 metres upstream of Tovil footbridge. Mariners are to be aware of a large crane lifting the floating construction equipment into the river from the cinema site in Maidstone. There will be a temporary platform for the works 300 metres above the Tovil footbridge. Sufficient room will be left to pass.|
|Monday 14 March to Friday 18 March||Oak Weir Lock to East Lock||As part of our winter inspections, we have discovered some faulty control valves at Oak Weir Lock Sluice Gate. These valves are used to manage navigation water levels in this section of the river. To enable their repair, the Upper Medway Navigation Team will be lowering the water level between Oak Weir Lock and East Lock|
|Sunday 10 April 2016||Foot bridges in Whatman Park in Maidstone||The race will commence at approximately 14:00 hours and will involve the deployment of approximately 3,000 yellow plastic ducks into the river. A team of canoeists will marshal the ducks to ensure they do not encroach more than one third into the navigable channel and to ensure they are all collected after the race is complete. Mariners are requested to pass with care while the event is taking place.|
For more information on the Town Lock restrictions click here Works at Town Lock, Tonbridge - Notice to mariners (PDF, 74.9KB, 1 page)
Notice to Mariners - Notice 09 of 2015 - Lock closures and river draining 2016 Notice to Mariners - Notice 09 of 2015 Lock closures and river draining 2016 (PDF, 68.6KB, 1 page)
Notice to Mariners - Notice 02 of 2016 - Oak Weir Lock Notice to Mariners 02 of 2016 (PDF, 70.1KB, 1 page)
Notice to Mariners - Notice 03 of 2016 - Duck race at Whatmore Park Notice to Mariners 3 of 2016 (PDF, 56.8KB, 1 page)
Planned lock closures
There are no current planned closures on the River Medway.
Find out about river levels on the Medway.
The Environment Agency sends email updates on planned River Medway closures and restrictions. To subscribe to this service, email firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘subscribe to notice to mariners’ in the subject line.
Published: 1 April 2014
Updated: 24 June 2016
- Current stream condition on the River Medway changed to red with effect from 1pm Thursday 23rd June.
- Notice to Mariners added
- New 'Notice to Mariners' added.
- Change conditions to Red
- Table of river restrictions has been updated.
- New restriction to River Medway.
- New restriction added.
- Update on new river restrictions.
- Notice to mariners added
- New river restrictions
- Updated condition to 'Green: all clear'.
- Changed first sentence to reflect the current situation
- Condition changed to Red.
- Planned closures and river draining sections added.
- Changed condition to 'Green'.
- Condition changed to Red: strong stream.
- Condition changed to Green: all clear.
- River condition changed to Red.
- Condition changed to Red.
- Condition changed to Red: strong stream
- River condition updated to 'green: all clear'.
- Updated condition to Red.
- Updated condition to 'Green'.
- Strong stream notice updated.
- Changes to the stream warnings
- River condition on Medway changed from red to green.
- Red/strong stream warning issued for the Medway.
- Removed old notices.
- Updated conditions date.
- New notice added.
- New notices added.
- New notice added.
- Removed river restriction.
- Email updates information added.
- Old notice removed on 22 May 2014
- Completed works notices removed on 8 May 2014.
- New notices added on 17 April 2014.
- First published.