Part 4: appendix 1 - vacant property inspection checklist
The Valuation Office Agency's (VOA) technical manual for the rating of business (non-domestic) property.
rating file and plans - Are they correct? Check for issues that may affect demand. Poor access, low headroom, poor layout etc.
have there been any changes since AVD? Since 01 April 2005? Since Material Day?
photos - General photos and specific photos of poor repair
detailed notes on the physical state of the building to complement photos
note services connected
details of last use and when vacated
future plans for property? Redevelopment? Demolition?
photos of any “For sale” or “To Let” boards. Make a note of agents and phone numbers·Make a specific note of items which appear to be incomplete or missing
The Surrounding Area
- notes about the immediate area. Is this an estate or an isolated property? Are there residential properties near by?
- road, rail and bus links.
- other vacant properties? Being marketed? Development sites being marketed?
- condition of other, similar properties
- MCCs? Changes since AVD? Since 01 April 2005? Since Material Day? New or recent developments
- internet marketing – printout website adverts? Contact agents for sales or letting particulars
- BA web sites for planning applications