Known problems for MOT testing stations using the MOT testing service, and how they can workaround the issue.
Known issues with the MOT testing service
There are some known issues with using the MOT testing service. They’re all temporary, and are being fixed by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).
You can use workarounds until the issue is permanently fixed.
Incorrect expiry dates
MOT certificates are showing an incorrect expiry date for cherished transfer registrations.
You should tell customers they won’t lose any of the extra days off their MOT as a result of this issue. DVSA will automatically correct all these kinds of certificates in due course.
However, if a customer urgently requires a corrected certificate then they should contact DVSA’s customer service centre on 0300 123 9000 (Monday to Friday, 7:30am to 6pm) which will correct the expiry date and issue an updated replacement.
Please advise customers that they’ll need to provide:
- the vehicle registration
- the vehicle identification number (VIN) on their current certificate
- the MOT test number on their current certificate
If customers want to be sent an updated electronic or postal certificate they’ll also need to provide one of the following:
- an email address
- a postal address
DVSA is currently working through a large backlog of these enquiries and it may take up to 10 weeks for customers to receive their updated certificate.
Text size on certificates
Some users are having problems reading testing certificates because of the size of the printed text.
Check your printer settings. These should be set for A4 paper, in black and white. Contact your IT supplier if you have any further problems.
Published: 17 August 2015
Updated: 21 July 2017
- Removed workarounds that are no longer needed; issue duplicate certificates, record contingency tests and slot accounts not updated.
- Update about debit and credit card payment process.
- Update about signing in problem
- Contingeny test issue removed.
- Update about slot accounts not updating when payments are made by debit and credit cards.
- Updated as some issues now fixed.
- Updated information about duplicates workaround.
- Updated issuing duplicates workaround.
- Updated advice about slot payment and expiry date issues.
- Updated advice about duplicates issue.
- Updated with information about entering contingency testing results.
- First published.