The Magna Carta Fund for Human Rights and Democracy (MCFHRD) is the FCO’s dedicated strategic programme fund supporting our global human rights and democracy work.
The bidding round for the 2016 to 2017 Magna Carta Fund for Human Rights and Democracy closed on 18 March 2016.
Through targeted projects, MCFHRD aims to further British interests overseas by:
- tackling the root causes of human rights violations
- strengthening institutions and governance
- supporting the promotion and protection of human rights, democracy and the rule of law
Human rights themes
For 2016, Ministers have agreed a new approach to the FCO’s human rights and democracy work. The FCO has therefore reconfigured its human rights work around 3 interconnected themes that provide the basis of our funding strategy:
- Democratic values and the rule of law: uphold universal rights, democracy and the rule of law as key building blocks for more secure and prosperous societies.
- The rules-based international order: support an effective rules-based international order that stands up for universal rights.
- Human rights for a stable world: promote a more stable world by upholding universal rights in tackling conflict and extremism.
Please contact HRD.Programme@fco.gov.uk with any questions or queries.