Initial Teacher Training (ITT) provider support
Keep in touch with ITT developments by reading the provider updates and attending your regional provider networks.
The National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) provides support to accredited ITT providers by:
- linking with providers through the ITT provider networks
- hosting ITT advisory group meetings
- keeping you up-to-date with ITT operational and policy decisions through the ITT provider update and online support community
- arranging support for newly accredited providers
ITT provider update
The ITT provider update is sent by email from NCTL. It contains details of policy and operational announcements, NCTL contacts and details of up and coming events.
The regional provider networks consist of accredited ITT providers from across each region. Each regional network is chaired by an elected provider representative, who, through this role, becomes a member of the ITT advisory group (ITTAG). The networks offer expert operational advice to NCTL through the chairs of the group and providers work together to share expertise on recruitment and provision on a regional basis. They do this by:
- sharing good practice and providing support between providers
- offering feedback on policies and communications between NCTL, providers and schools
- communicating regional needs and responses to NCTL
Procedures and organisation
Meeting dates and standing agenda items will be agreed by the chairs and NCTL at the start of each academic year.
Regional network meetings are held termly, followed by a national meeting of the chairs group (ITTAG). Chairs will feedback discussions, outcomes, and information from the previous term’s ITTAG meetings to network members.
Chairs will inform their networks of the outcomes of any other working groups who may have an impact on their work.
Join your local ITT provider network
To find out how to join, contact:
Initial Teacher Training Advisory Group (ITTAG)
The advisory group is made up of:
- chairs elected by the members of the regional networks from each ITT region
- representatives from the National Association of School-Based Teacher Trainers
- representatives from the Universities Council for the Education of Teachers
The group shares policy information, best practice and provides expert advice to NCTL on ITT. They do this by:
- consulting on a regional basis with providers and schools to highlight aspects of policy implementation
- supporting effective communication between NCTL and the regional networks
- communicating regional needs and responses to NCTL in a strategic manner
- involvement in sub-committees for consultation with NCTL on areas of policy and delivery
ITT provider support community
This community provides support and aims to improve practice for ITT providers.
Information, resources and notices are available on the Knowledge hub. This is a restricted online community for ITT providers only, to:
- provide mutual support
- discuss relevant issues
- access the latest information and guidance for ITT
To register for the community:
- register with Knowledge hub
- search for “ITT provider support community” to become a member
Recently accredited provider support
We provide additional support to recently accredited providers:
- workshops to help you understand how our funding is allocated, our data requirements and how you can work towards providing high quality training
- arrange quality assurance visits from a team of ITT experts who will visit you on 3 occasions:
- following accreditation
- in your first year of provision
- in your second year of provision (prior to your first Ofsted inspection)
The visits are supportive and help you to reflect on the quality of your provision. They concentrate on improving practice to ensure high quality outcomes for trainees.
Published: 3 April 2014
Updated: 22 October 2015
- ITT provider update for October 2015 now available.
- Issue 8: ITT provider update published.
- Issue 7 of the ITT provider update added.
- New provider update for October
- First published.