Guidance for students who wish to apply for a place on the Government Economic Service (GES) summer vacation scheme.
Note: The 2017 GES summer vacation placement scheme has now closed.
The Government Economic Service (GES) summer vacation placement scheme is aimed at economics students who are considering a career in the GES after graduation.
The placements generally last between 6 and 12 weeks and take place over the summer period. You can find out more about the type of work available to students by reading these case studies by former students.
To be eligible to apply you must:
- be a UK national, Commonwealth citizen, a Swiss national, or a member of the European Economic Area
- if a holder of a student visa, be allowed under the conditions of this visa to undertake a full-time paid sandwich placement in the UK without a work permit
- be on course for a 2:1 or 1st class degree, as indicated by exam results
- not have already had a placement with the GES
- be studying for:
- a degree in economics or, if it is a joint degree, economics must comprise at least 50% of the total course
- doing a Masters degree/Postgraduate Diploma in economics
- a joint honours Undergraduate degree at a Scottish University, where at least 50% of the final 2 years of the course must be in economics
- Philosophy Politics and Economics degree where at least 50% of the final 2 years of the course must be in economics
Placements are not open to first year undergraduates. If you have graduated, you will only be eligible if you are going on to do further study immediately after the placement.
You must submit the following information with your application:
- all modules of undergraduate degree/postgraduate degree/diploma studied to date, including grades
- the number of credits allotted to each module and total number of credits taken thus far (where applicable)
- all economics modules marked as (Econ)
- a preference for which department you wish to be placed in
Sample job descriptions here
You will also need to provide a reference from your university economics tutor, confirming your suitability, at the invitation to interview stage.
If you have visa status you must also send a copy of your visa with your application to show that it covers the period of the placement.
The application form is here. The competences section is an important part of the sift process.
You must submit your application using the digital application form. Do not send your CV or cover letters. Make sure you complete your form fully as incomplete forms will not be considered.
Applicants for the 2017 scheme will be notified of the outcome of their application by early March.
Candidates who are successful at the sift stage will be considered for interview.
The interview will assess your knowledge of macro and microeconomics, as well as general competencies such as team working.
Reserve applicants pool
If you are successful at the sift stage but not allocated to a department, you will be placed in a reserve pool.
If a department withdraws from the scheme, those applicants will also be placed in the reserve pool.
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org where we endeavour to respond to your email within 5 working days.
Published: 30 January 2014
Updated: 13 February 2017
- Scheme has closed
- scheme details have been updated
- Details of the 2017 GES summer vacation placement scheme will be posted here in the week commencing 23 January. The scheme will open for receipt of applications on Wednesday 8 February.
- Details about 2016 application dates added.
- First published.